When it comes to online dating, it's important to be aware of the potential red flags. YouTuber Brittani Louise Taylor experienced “forever unhappy” as a result of searching for a partner online and shares her view on online dating and reveals five red flags to look out for. Although this allowed you to meet someone, it's safe to say that online dating still has its drawbacks when it comes to trust. In fact, “by 2040, 70 percent of relationships will be able to attribute their union to online dating or online communication,” according to eHarmony UK.
Even though Taylor's own online dating experience doesn't end well, she says: “I would recommend 100 percent online dating. There's nothing wrong with it, especially with how busy our culture has become. My only wish is that when looking for love I want everyone to be careful, go slowly and check the facts.” Here are 10 tips to help you stay safe while using dating sites:
- Use different photos for your dating profile.
- Check out your potential date on social media.
- Don't respond to requests for financial aid.
- Video chat before meeting in person.
- Make sure they are who they say they are.
- Be aware of pet names like “baby” and “sweetie”.
- Look out for excuses not to meet in person.
- Be aware of any red flags on the first date.
- Take your time when looking for a partner.
- Ask someone to call you during the date.